Aquaculture has strong links with the local and state industries, across a variety of large and small industries. Training provides practical skills and knowledge to assist in the care and maintenance of fish stocks. Students learn crucial skills in fish handling, and maintaining and manipulating the water environment. TAFE WA's Fremantle campus features a working aquaculture facility with hatchery tanks and filtration systems and is within convenient walking distance to the fishing industry in Fremantle. Our lecturers have a strong relationship with the Australian Centre for Applied Aquaculture Research (ACAAR) in the neighbouring facility.
Are you looking to join a school of fish lovers? The Aquaculture course at TAFE Western Australia is ideal for those looking to advance their knowledge of the Aquaculture industry and in sustainable food sources.
Gain these skills:
- Care for and maintain fish stocks, culture and holding environments
- Installing or constructing stock culture or holding structures and other allied structures
- Treating and disposing of effluent and wastes
- Monitoring environmental conditions
- Maintaining water quality
- Feeding, handling, harvesting and controlling predators, pests and diseases
- Operating high technology water treatment components
- Implementing emergency procedures, occupational health and safety policies and guidelines
Our Fremantle campus is ideally located in the heart of Fremantle’s shipping precinct on the edge of Victoria Quay, and offers a wide array of qualifications, specialty short courses, simulator-based training and customised programmes in the Maritime Operations & Engineering and the Marine Studies, Aquaculture and Foundation Studies programme areas.
- Fish farm assistant
- Hobby aquarium shop assistant
- Seafood processor
- Skilled aquaculture worker
Roberto Magro studied the Diploma of Aquaculture and was nominated for International Student of the Year at South Metropolitan TAFE
Back home in Sicily I studied marine biology but I always wanted to come to Australia. South Metropolitan TAFE is one of the best institutes for aquaculture in the world. There is nothing similar back home. I am currently designing a project for a barramundi farm which is really exciting. I love this institute the environment is very stimulating. There is a good balance between practice and theory. My class is very multicultural with lots of different backgrounds. My lecturers are very passionate and knowledgeable. They succeed every day in transferring their passion and love of aquaculture. I feel very lucky to study here.